Penile fracture: Functional results of surgical treatment at the Idrissa Pouye General Hospital in Dakar

Main Article Content

AM Ngoie
M Mbodji
M Jalloh
M Ndoye
Y Kyungu
Y Kabeya
C Gassama
L Niang
S Diagne
A Diallo
I Labou
SM Gueye

Abstract

Introduction: Penile fracture is a rare urological emergency. It can affect the sexual functional prognosis. The objective of our study was to report the epidemiological and therapeutic aspects and to evaluate the sexual functional prognosis of patients treated for penile fracture.


Materials and methods: We conducted a descriptive study from January 2018 to May 2023 in the Urology Department of the Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye in Grand Yoff, Dakar. Variables included sociodemographic, clinical, therapeutic and evolutionary data of patients managed for penile fracture. Sexual function was assessed on the basis of the IIEF15 score.


Results: During this period, 36 patients were treated for penile fracture. The mean age was 33.3 ± 10.3 years, with a median of 32 years (interquartile range: 25 years; 42.75 years). Twenty-one (21) of our patients (58.3%) were married, while the remaining fifteen (41.7%) were single. The circumstances of onset were dominated by untimely manipulation (52.8%) and coital faux pas (30.6%). The diagnosis was made on questioning and clinical examination, and included pain, penile swelling and the perception of a cracking sound. The median consultation time was 2.47 ± 0.9 hours (1h; 7h). Penile detumescence with an “eggplant appearance” was the main finding, with no evidence of any other associated lesion. Treatment consisted of evacuation of the intracavernous hematoma followed by albuginorraphy via a coronal approach for all patients. The sexual functional prognosis score after surgery was good (normal erection) in all our patients.


Conclusion: Penile fracture is an infrequent urological emergency. It is the prerogative of the adult in sexual maturity. Its diagnosis is clinical and the treatment is surgical. The sexual functional prognosis is good.

Article Details

Section
Review
Author Biographies

AM Ngoie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal

M Mbodji , Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal

M Jalloh, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal

M Ndoye, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal

Y Kyungu, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal

Y Kabeya, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal

C Gassama, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal

L Niang, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal

S Diagne, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal

A Diallo, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal

I Labou, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal

SM Gueye, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye

Service d’urologie, Hôpital Général Idrissa Pouye, Sénégal